Ladies and gentlemen, we have germination. There are at least 4 bean sprouts in every "hill" - bowl, really - and there are at least 2 delicata squash sprouts. And to top it all off, the zucchini has a few flowers.
There, before you, in addition to various weeds and bits of debris, are five - count 'em, FIVE - bean seedlings. Of the 25 seeds I planted, I have at least 22 seedlings. While I have no idea what happened to the first 25 seeds I planted, this last planting has resulted in plants.
Thank you to those of you who suggested pre-germination. I did soak 20 bean seeds and 3 squash seeds for a couple of days on wet paper towels. Many of the beans had sprouted when I planted them. I miscounted and forgot I needed 25 beans, so I went ahead and planted 5 unsprouted seeds when I planted the sprouted ones. All 5 of the unsprouted ones are up, and 2 of the 3 unsprouted squash seeds are up. I don't know if it was the pre-sprouting or the warmer weather or more rain or what. I don't care, either. All that matters is that I have baby bean and squash plants.